Friends of Droxford Church is a registered charity dedicated to the conservation and appreciation of Droxford’s parish church. For eight centuries The Church of St Mary and All Saints has flourished at the heart of local life. The oldest building in Droxford, the church dates from the 12th century Medieval times of the conquering Normans.
Recently, Friends of Droxford Church has played a leading role in extensive restoration of the church, supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund, South Downs National Park Authority and Hampshire County Council. The new facilities aim to make the church a hub for the whole community, a place to meet, socialise and appreciate the evocative heritage of Droxford in the South Downs.
The Church restoration is now complete, with the final component being the installation of the Heritage display in the North Aisle in December.
The church’s north side has been transformed into a multi-purpose community facility. The former North Chapel is now a meeting room and the centre of Wilfrid’s – our volunteer-run community cafe.
Our new exhibition tells the story of Droxford over more than 1500 years of history, from the origins of Drokenesford, through evolution of the village at the centre of a rural community, to the challenges of modern times.