Droxford’s church was greatly influenced by the evangelical movement of the 19th century. Under Stephen Bridge, rector from 1868 to 1886, the word of God, as written in the bible, held sway over the sacraments, such as communion. A burgeoning revivalist congregation responded to charismatic sermons from an imposing new pulpit, with biblical text displayed around the chancel arch.
In the 1900s Canon John Vaughan instituted a major restoration of the church, rediscovering a Medieval tradition hidden away under plaster and paint.
Between 1926 and 1946 Canon Leonard Etheridge revitalised worship here, returning to anglo-catholic forms with sung services, candles and a robed choir.
This church is much loved by congregation and residents. St Mary and All Saints embodies Droxford’s Medieval origins, a point of certainty amid a shifting world throughout 850 years.
Society has changed. The role of the church, still precious to many, is less clear and secure. As we face up to this challenge, our new community facilities aim to enrich local life and widen the reach of this special place.